According to this Forbes article there are ten reasons why top talent leaves an organisation:
- You Failed To Unleash Their Passions:
- You Failed To Challenge Their Intellect:
- You Failed To Engage Their Creativity:
- You Failed To Develop Their Skills:
- You Failed To Give Them A Voice:
- You Failed To Care:
- You Failed to Lead:
- You Failed To Recognize Their Contributions:
- You Failed To Increase Their Responsibility:
- You Failed To Keep Your Commitments:
It’s a useful exercise to go through this list and mentally tick off which of these reasons have caused you to leave a previous job. If any of these reasons apply to you, is it likely they also apply to people working in your organisation? Basically, they’re all down to a failure in leadership.
There are some other interesting statistics in this article:
- More than 30% believe they’ll be working someplace else inside of 12 months.
- More than 40% don’t respect the person they report to.
- More than 50% say they have different values than their employer.
- More than 60% don’t feel their career goals are aligned with the plans their employers have for them.
- More than 70% don’t feel appreciated or valued by their employer.
From what I’ve seen of staff satisfaction surveys, I wouldn’t disagree with any of these!
Sorry if this is a bit of a negative picture to be painting as we move towards Christmas, but perhaps it might stimulate some thoughts for some New Year’s Resolutions.